Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cool non-Technology of the Week

This is really just a ramble on something I've appreciated for years.  Fresh, home delivered milk in glass bottles.  When I first moved into this house just before my daughter was born, my local dairy left a flyer on our doorstep.  My wife likes low-fat milk.  I could never abide it.  It just didn't taste right.  There were about two suppliers that made something we could both drink.  For the two of us, it never made sense to buy more than one bottle of milk.  When we tasted the local dairy's milk we were hooked.  The convenience of home delivery and the quality of the product have kept us a customer for 14 years.  I've switched doctors at least three times since then.

My dairy recently added another product:  Home delivered farm-fresh produce from a local farm that we've often frequented.  It's not terribly close, (about a half-hour away).  But now I can get a box of fresh vegetables each week from a local farm.  I can get farm fresh vegetables and fresh milk locally.  And I will pay a premium for it, but it will be worth it.

When I was growing up I used to be able to ride my bike to the doctor's office and dentist's office in my neighborhood.  While I might still be able to do so, I've seen few if any physician offices in neighborhoods anymore.  They are still close by, but no longer really part of the community.  My children don't go to school with my doctor's kids.  Sometimes I do wish that life were simpler.

Oh well, at least I still get my milk from glass bottles.


0 comments:

Post a Comment