Monday, February 11, 2013

Getting Unburied

I spent a great deal of Saturday digging out my driveway.  Given the amount of snow that dropped here (in excess of two feet), it was no surprise that the town's plow did a barely adequate job on my street.  In fact, I had to dig out an extra eight feet (almost a car length) to get to the part of the street they had plowed.  I guess it shouldn't amaze me how my government manages to get me to do so much additional work on their behalf.

I have a four (six in a pinch) car driveway, but only two cars.  One of my optimizations was to cut a one-car width path through the snow at the end of the driveway, so there would be a way to get both cars out, but only if the efforts to get the cars out of the driveway were coordinated.  By sharing the results, both cars could take advantage of the same path.  We arranged the cars in the driveway to take advantage of this ahead of time.

This morning I cut a narrow path from the driveway to the back door so we could accept an oil delivery (just in time as it were).  I did just the amount of work necessary to solve this problem.  Keeping the scope very narrow here enabled me to finish the job in a remarkably short period of time.

I'm taking the first approach with Health eDecisions and HQMF.  By combining the efforts to create the standards, I've reduced significantly the amount of work I'll have to do for either.  This is a case where sharing the path makes for less work.

I'll be taking the second approach with some other efforts, doing the minimal amount that I can to keep things moving forwards.


Applying these approaches is going to help me get unburied metaphorically later this year.  I'm just hoping that ONC doesn't pull another Nemo on me later.  But that may be too much to wish for.

I'll take it as it comes, just as I did with this storm.


1 comment:

  1. I found your blog when I was looking for a different sort of information wonderful collection, but I was very happy and glad to read through your blog. The information available here is great
    subliminal advertising

    ReplyDelete